We are back from our Level II ultrasound and Aidan looks good (all organs are perfect), but they discovered that he has a 2 vessel umbilical cord instead of a normal 3 vessel cord. A two-vessel cord identifies one artery and one vein, rather than 2 arteries and 1 vein, the expected 3-vessel cord. This variation is found in less than 1% of single babies and may be higher when there are twins. Most children, at least 70%, are normal.
A two vessel cord can be associated with a variety of organ-system and chromosomal abnormalities: the reassuring news for us is that all the organ systems are normally formed. A two vessel cord can be associated with impaired growth as the pregnancy progresses: this is monitored by serial ultrasound studies to document the size/weight of the baby and biophysical profile (combines ultrasound measures with fetal heart rate patterns) to assure baby health.
Their main concern was his heart, but he has all 4 chambers, so they are not as worried. The doctor came out and talked to us and told us that he is not alarmed and that this happens to 15% of pregnant women and he will just want to do more ultrasounds to keep an eye in Aidan's growth. Currently, he is in the 49th percentile for his size. He is measuring a day smaller than he should be, which is not a huge deal. He weighs about 1 lb and 1 oz, and is about 11 inches long.
Other than that, my cervix is long and closed, which is what we want it to be right now, so we are cleared to leave the country. I go back in 4 wks to do a glucose test to see if I have Gestational Diabetes (GD). I'll have a 1hr glucose test w/a blood draw and if I pass, then I don't have GD. If I fail, then I go back for a 3hr glucose test and if I fail that, then I'll be diagnosed w/GD. GD goes away after giving birth, but I'm hoping that I pass and don't have to worry about that.
So, we are trying to process this new info and are still getting ready to leave tomorrow. We are about to take our 3 dogs to the kennel/doggie hotel in a little bit. I hate parting w/them; the house will be so empty and quiet w/o them here. I'll post when we get back w/pics of Italy! We did get u/s pics from today and I've been trying to post them, but it's not letting me. I'll keep trying and hopefully can get them up before we leave.
Monday, October 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Hi Tanya,
Great to read your blog and hear your wonderful news. We will be praying for Aidan...that he will be healthy and that neither of you will experience any complications in the weeks ahead. Enjoy Italy!!
Post a Comment