Ray took him to drop him off this morning and I cried after they drove away. He was so happy to be going "bye bye" with daddy, but I know he wasn't prepared to be dropped off at school all day w/o one of us there. Ugh... Ray said he did fine until he realized daddy wasn't there anymore, then he was really upset/crying (Ray was still in the bldg so he could hear him).
During naptime I talked to his teacher, she said he ate a good lunch, drank his bottle by himself at the table then laid down on his mat at naptime and they rubbed his back and he fell asleep (along w/his "must have" blanket and paci that we sent along for him). Then he woke from his nap and was sitting on his mat quietly with another boy looking at a book together. (SO wish I could see that!)
I have to say that I thought it would have gone MUCH worse than what she described, based off his last experience. I'm so glad that he seems to be doing much better than I had anticipated.
She said that day 1 is rough, day 2 is worse and then the rest of the week is rough. So I just need to be strong a little bit longer. But from what she described to me, I think he'll be fine in a much shorter time frame than I gave him credit for. I'm just so glad to hear that he ate, napped well and is not constantly crying (at his MDO experience, he did not eat, did not nap well and cried all day).
When I got there to pick him up, I watched him for a bit before going in. He was sitting on the floor with his teacher and 3 other kids doing some kind of activity and looked like he was having fun; I saw him smile and clap a few times. Then the girl next to him pulled his paci out of his mouth and he started crying. So the teacher made her give it back and held him. I waited for him to calm down before going in. Boy was he glad to see me! He got a little whiny but I acted excited for him and started to get his stuff together and after talking to his teacher, asked him if he was ready and he said "GO!" and headed for the door!
Once home, he played outside for a bit, watched his favorite cartoon (Little Einsteins) ate dinner, got a bath and went down with no issues. So I don't think he was traumatized this time like he was the last time we tried daycare/preschool. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but I think we'll all be fine.




1 comment:
Sounds like he's doing great, Tanya! It always takes kids a while to get adjusted, but your hubby did the right thing by allowing the teachers to take care of the crying after he left. From my own preschool-teaching experiences, the prolonged goodbyes only make it worse. Make a quick break (I know it's hard for everyone involved!) and head for the door! Each day WILL get easier! :) Yay for Aidan! :)
Post a Comment